Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I don't drink

My body hates me less these last two days, although I think the flu is turning into more irritating than infectious. I'm coughing a lot and there is too much mucus for me to take. WebMD suggests Lupus, I concur, bring on the meds.

Anyway, St Patricks day on wednesday was met with some interesting news. I decided to lift my ban on drinking! I did it over a year ago because I didn't have money and drinking was making me feel stupid. So I stopped drinking and thought it would be better for me in the long run.

The problem with this wasn't a lack of will power, in fact for the first time not drinking was as easy as not buying drinks. I didn't even crave it. I did however start to feel like I was isolated. For whatever reason those little words "I don't drink" precluded a lot of social activities. I could go out with people, but I'd be preceived as something of a wet blanket.

My family was great for it, every function I would be inundated with people offering me drinks.

We've got beer in the fridge downstairs if you'd like...
There's wine on the counter.
I'm making crantini's would you like one?


After each of these offers I responded with some explanation, usually emphasizing that "I don't drink." I began to treat it like something of a joke on their part, like a running gag or something.

My friends never pressured me. They'd mock my cranberry juice at bars, but that's just how we treat each other. Meanwhile they would get quite politely trashed.

As a bartender I got asked what I would recommend, or what I liked to drink here. I said water or tea, jokingly. When I didn't care too much about my sales I lied and said "well I like this beer, or a cosmo! playing up on alcohol and being fabulous for the sake of my tips. When I volunteered as a bartender at charity things I had no problems sticking it out behind the bar. In fact I often had more trouble with people offering to relieve me.

Anyway, I started to treat not drinking like a disability and while I still didn't get cravings like many of my friends would, I did begin to miss it. Be it resolved that, I am now drinking again.

I had 2 kilkenny's on st pat's day, which was at a good pace so I didn't even feel at all drunk. I did however feel free.

I suppose I'm an adult, and I can make my own decisions. Outright prohibition, while a good solution to my beer/school/bank woes for a time; but I think that in certain social climes I'll be holistically happier if I indulge in a glass or two.

Just so we're clear, I do drink.

Carry on...

2 comments:

  1. So you bartend? That's pretty cool. Now, because I'm woefully inexperienced with alcohol, suggest me something great. :-D

    I don't drink much, but I don't really refuse alcohol - I just end up drinking not much (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents drink a bit too much for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure my mom has at least once combined her medication and alcohol intentionally. As such, whenever I'm around them, drinking is something that I consciously declined to do -- up until last Christmas. Last Christmas, we visited family and were offered a drink at every house. I made a point of saying "thanks, yep!" to each, and at the end of the trip, my mom told me she was concerned about my drinking.

    Seriously?

    ReplyDelete