Monday, March 1, 2010

Drawing meat...

So this weekend was nice/fun/exhausting/weird... A whole battery of emotions really.

First, congrats to all the olympic athletes, especially the Canadian ones, 14 gold's I'm sure everyone and their dog knows that that is the most at any Winter Olympics by a country (let alone the host country) so understandably Vancouver is the place to be (although as of this morning there was a general malaise as the hangover's started).

Anyway, Friday I went home to have a few drinks (i was just drinking cranberry juice i promise!) with some extended family, we went to our local legion and I must say that is a colourful place. Very charming. Best part of the night (apart from the win over slovakia) was when a lady came over offering raffle tix, I didn't buy any because I'm less affluent than I would like, but my cousins did. I found out later it was for a meat draw. Yes, they were raffling off roasts and steaks, I didn't think such a thing existed but leave it to my familiar old hometown to surprise me. My cousin won, she's vegan (something i didn't know because I thought I was the only pious person at the table jk).

I enjoyed that a lot, mostly because my family was there. I don't see them often but when I do, and when there's alcohol (and there's always alcohol!) it's a great time. Saw my older brother who I don't see very often, his wife was there too... Secret confession, I sometime's worry I'll regret how tepid I am with my family, we're not super close and were always more about surviving (or at least I was) than we were about making disneyland, vacationy memories. My aunts were great too, and one even coaxed me out onto the dancefloor, I remind you I am stone cold sober so that was a feat. nice night

Sat we moved B's sister into her new place... or tried to. We overslept and missed moving the bulk of it, but we helped unpack and arrange. Sat night we went for a walk to see the cauldron and B got some good pics, I'll see if i can steal them and post them here... Unfortunately we didn't get onto the observation platform but we'll go back now that its calmed the fuck down... Sunday was exciting with the hockey game, then we had dinner at B's parent's house. His mother was badgering me into eating meat (I didn't) and joked that she made my belated bday cake with beef blood and multi-vitamins just so i wasn't malnourished.

I laughed nervously when she did, because she usually doesn't make jokes, and she is some kind of crazy (in a polite, mothering way).

Anyway I'll post something interesting later, perhaps a rant or more people watching...

PS Closing ceremonies were funny, especially the way that Jon Furlong tried to speak french again... Loved the self-deprication and HATED the choices in bands... Alanis and Buble were good, but I would have perfered that she sing something a little more fun. Avril was an alright and obligatory choice (but I could've done for only one song from her)... But simple plan and nickelback?!? The athlete's were sooooo bored and uncomfortable... Oh well, there's always next olympics, they happen every year right?

2 comments:

  1. i am, i haven't eaten meat since dec, and except for the odd moment where i think i smell bacon, i'm not missing it.

    i don't drink either, haven't for over a year now, and only sometimes miss that...

    ReplyDelete