Friday, February 5, 2010

Late to the party

My friend got swine flu last month... Last month! Who does that? It's like if I got SARS or worried about Bird Flu... Terribly anachronistic, but then I shouldn't talk.

I really shouldn't talk actually, because when I do I often get judgey and people in glass houses shouldn't be judgey.

Apart from blogging, I managed to catch onto a number of fads late in the game. I only tried World of Warcrack in '08, I bought my first pair of running shoes last weekend, and a bunch of other sad little confessions. OH, the big one is that I didn't have internet in my house until 2007... That's right, I have only had access to internet in the place where I live for the past 3 years (and this in largely only a function of my moving out of the house). So I suppose I can blame my geographic constraints on my late arrival, but oh well.

I don't mind it really, coming late to the party, what I do mind is that I feel terribly self-conscious about it. When I had my brief stint playing WoW I didn't know any of the jargon or conventions and I imagine that I pissed a lot of people off because of this. I used to worry about this sort of thing a lot. Not because I may find that I'm not as smart as I thought I was, but because I'd get terribly embarassed. Much the way that the bf doesn't like to wear my blazers because he'll feel out of place (they look hot on him).

Anyway, that's probably one of the reason's why I'm finding posting on my blog difficult (waaaaaaa). Mostly that I get discouraged because what I'm saying is terribly self-involved (and dull) or about some event/topic which I find myself tremendously underqualified to discuss.

Le shame...

Re reading that makes me sound like a bit of a bumpkin, but I did grow up on a farm with just as many guns in the house as people so (and there were a lot of us in that house)... Cue banjo music.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, it's alright. Being late to the party has some perks. You don't have to stumble through some things, as sometimes things get better/easier with time.

    ReplyDelete