Friday, February 5, 2010

Michael

I'm guilty of many things, today I'm guilty of listening to my iPod at work... and writing on my blog I suppose.

Don't judge me, office producivity is hardly the worst thing I've done... Besides it makes me a time-theif, which sounds kind of cool.

Rogueishness aside, I started listening to my iPod and dancing along to some of my favourites. I'm not going to list my musical likes, because that's what fb is for. Rather I'm going to talk about the songs that are of importance to me (the subtext of this post is don't judge me)

1. Michael-
...you're the boy with all the leather hips,
sticky hair, sticky hips,
stubble on my sticky lips...

I started listening to this sometime in early University (I think summer after first year). It's a gay song, which at the time was a big deal for me because I listened to what was on the radio for the most part. Shortly after I started listening to it my 'Michael' appeared. Michael wasn't his real name, but he was hot and when I think of that song I think about him. Well, no I think about the times on the mattress on the floor, the wine, and the awful movies...

2. Boys of Summer
...And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone...

The Ataris cover of this came out in gr 11-ish for me and I lurved it. Mostly because it was on the So Long Astoria album which was what I was listening to at my first pride parade. Anyway, naturally the memory of that day still hides out in my mind and I get all excited thinking about the first boy I ever asked out. This time part of the magic was that he was someone I had a crush on, and I saw him at the pride parade w/ his friend/bf and I could NOT believe it... I didn't ask him out until I was safely in the friend zone though, many months later... and he said no... didn't stop us from fooling around many months after that, but we've gone our separate ways since.

3. A Martyr for my love for you
I could stay awhile, but sooner or later I'd break your smile...

The White Stripes are perhaps one of my favourite bands. Ever. Their lyrics are poetic and ethereal that make me wonder if I'm baked when I hear them. Martyr is just one of the songs that I love by them, and I chose this one because it speaks to the impossibility of an infatuation. It's really very tragically beautiful.

4. Mad World
...and I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...

Long before Adam Lambert sang this, it was on donnie darko. A movie near and dear to many angsty pretentious teens, donnie darko is a great movie for a number of reasons. Apart from having the talented jake gyllenhaal, it was a movie that the bf and I love. We bonded over it early and would text each other cute little quotes from it... I'll do my best to limit the ones about he and I as there are alot (probably to be listed on another day.

5. Fem In a Black Leather Jacket
...With his long long hair and pouty lips
cute little butt and sexy hips...

Unfortunately this was a recent addition to my list of relevant songs, so the memories and emotions to this one are slightly more superficial, however I think that if I had heard this song when I was 14ish I would be a different person today. I could picture myself being all kinds of secretive about this the way I used to stay up on monday nights to watch queer as folk... Anyway, Pansy Division, they're amazing, you should probably listen to them... now...

There are a litany of other songs that really get me, but right now my mind is filled with the L section of my shuffle (that is, La Roux, Lady Gaga, Le Tigre, and Les Chanson d'Amore) gayest letter ever. There may be another post later, when I'm struggling through other tasks at work, but right now I've got to get some stuff done.

OH, and the name of the blog is from an Oasis song Part of the Queue:

...I'm having trouble just finding my soul in this town
But I’ll keep on trying I keep on trying...

Oasis is wonderful...

No comments:

Post a Comment