Friday, February 12, 2010

Opening ceremonies

Olympics, w00t...

Despite the tragedy this morning with the Georgian Slider, Nodar Kumaritashvili, passing away in an awful Luge accident, the games would go on.

Well, actually I don't particularly care for them, but from the safety of Cloverdale I got to watch the Opening Ceremony with B and his family. Which I think will be my favourite part of the next 17 days.

I think they did a great job, mostly. Compared to the sad display at the end of Turin (all about the Ice fishing and igloos) this was great. Integrating a lot of First Nations art and dance set the stage for the introduction of Canada to the world. Then the athletes came out and I think everyone was very respectful towards the Georgian athletes. Again it was a tremendous shame.

Despite a tacky rendition of 'O Canada' which bothered me a lot, (I was hoping that the anthem would be sung by the crowd). The various songs and stage set-ups showcasing Canadian talent, the landscape, and culture were wonderful. From Ashley MacIssac to kd Lang (lurve my lesbians) complemented by an Alberta ballet company, some flying acrobats, and Whales, the whole thing was really very touching. I enjoyed the way it actually integrated our history and spirit with a smattering from all walks of life from all parts of this great big loveable country. I really liked the the slam poet with the fat beard explaining how our nation is a experiment in choice and opportunity. Then having Betty Fox and Donald Sutherland and co carrying in the Olympic flag was quite touching.

The lighting of the inside torch was botched everso slightly by some faulty hydraulics. But continued after an awkward moment (it's a good thing we're so humble) then the Great One himself rode to the waterfront (amongst drunken revelers more than protesters) where he lit the final torch.

So, O Canada Fail, Hydraulic Fail, and Stephen Harper... shouldn't you be back east, in say Parliament or someth... oh no wait. But like I said, I enjoyed it, a lot.

In anycase, back home with V and B, having some tea... Hope those people who want to enjoy the games do, and those that protest them have an excellent and peaceful campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment